Update 2012/02/10: Duokan has an official english site available under http://en.duokan.com/ by now. The current versions of Duokan only support Kindle 3 and 4 (and maybe Kindle Touch and Kindle Fire?).
This blog article deals with the older Duokan releases.
EPUB, CHM, DOC and djvu documents on your Kindle? It’s possible! The alternative OS for Kindle, Duokan, is now available with an english GUI supporting these document types. Duokan works with Kindle 2, 3 and DX and it will install besides the original OS, so you’re able to switch easily between it and the original Kindle OS.
You may download version 0.5.13.8942 (2011/05/20) with preconfigured english language from my site or always the current version through the regarding chinese forum post at the Duokan website where you also could find the chinese installation instructions. For english installation and upgrade instructions see below. I don’t understand chinese so I’ve used the instructions translated by google. Also check this english thread at their forum.
Kindle3 Duokan displaying an EPUB
Kindle3 Duokan displaying a PDF normally
Kindle3 Duokan displaying a PDF with Smart Layout
With Duokan you’re not just able to read EPUBs. Another convenient feature is that Duokan is able to change the font size or crop the white border for PDFs. To crop the white border, open the PDF, press “Aa” and select “Screen Zoom A”. To change the font size, open the PDF, press “Aa” and select “Smart Layout”. After this you may press “Aa” again and adjust the font size. While the crop feature leaves the original PDF design untouched, the smart layout feature tries to adjust the PDF, so the results may be dissatisfying. You should bear in mind that the current version is a beta version.
When I was playing with the WLAN feature which is not working for my WPA2 secured WLAN yet, Duokan had frozen up. Don’t panic if this happens to you. You’re able to reset your Kindle by pushing the power switch for 15 seconds.
For more discussion about Duokan check their forum or also this thread concerning Duokan at mobileread.com.
- Get Duokan with preconfigured english language
- Connect your Kindle to your computer via USB
- Open the Duokan archive and copy the folders DK_System, DK_Documents and DK_Pictures to your Kindle root directory.
- Also copy all the .bin files from the corresponding subfolder in 升级包 (e.g. k3升级包 subfolder for Kindle 3) in the archive to the Kindle root.
- Disconnect USB
- Make sure that your Kindle is charged (at least 50%)
- On your Kindle, press “Home”, then “Menu”, then select “Settings” and then press “Menu” again. Choose “Update Your Kindle”
- Kindle restarts and after restarting be quick and press Q for Duokan (W is for the original Kindle OS). If you’re not fast enough, go to Home, then Menu, then select “Settings” and then press Menu again. Choose “Restart” and be quicker pressing Q next time. In some cases you will get back to the original Kindle OS after updating. If this happens to you, choose “Restart” in the settings menu.
- That’s it! In the settings you now might want to add your ebooks of your original installation to Duokan. To do this, simply go to “Home” in Duokan, press “Menu”, select “Settings”, find “Other->Use Kindle Lists” and select “Yes”. Additionally you may copy some ebooks to your DK_Documents folder to use them only in Duokan.
- Switch your Kindle to the original Kindle OS if it has been switched to Duokan before. To do this in Duokan, press Menu, select “Settings” and then select “Switch to Kindle”.
- Then follow the installation instructions above, with a minor difference: there’s no need to copy the empty DK_Documents and DK_Pictures folders again. You could also delete the old DK_System folder first, maybe some files are not needed any longer. And again, don’t forget the bin files.
To uninstall, start Duokan, open the settings and select “Uninstall System”.
Keywords: Kindle, Duokan, alternative OS, alternative firmware, alternative, alternate, english, translation, epub, resize pdf font, better pdf support